Monday 14 January 2013

welcome from the musings of mrs malaprop


malaprop |ˈmaləˌpräp| (also malapropism)nounthe mistaken use of a word in place of a similar-sounding one, often with unintentionally amusing effect, as in, for example, “dance a flamingo ” (instead of flamenco).ORIGIN mid 19th cent.: from the name of the character Mrs. Malaprop in Sheridan's play The Rivals (1775)


Aloha! Konichiwa! I just wanted to formally introduce myself then give you a bit of a heads up as to the name of my blog and all future ramblings. Firstly, I tell a lie... to dispell myth and avoid later disappointment, I am not actually the Mrs Malaprop. There you have it. I'm Lottie, age 20, cultural enthusiast and writer extraordinaire ;) How d'you like me now...

Personally, I believe Mrs Malaprop is one of culture's most memorable figures, a literary tour-de-force if you will. With the comic timing of Maggie Smith's Lady Grantham and all the charm of Sarah Palin, her cultural significance transcends the pages of a 18th century comedy-of-manners. Instead of being an object of ridicule, she should be admired for her infallible attempts of getting across what she wants to say in spite of making these enormous blunders. Mrs Malaprop may be a verbal catastrophe but her ambition is faultless. And if that's not impressive enough, not many people can claim to have sparked a linguistic phenomenon, her name forever enshrined within a common noun. 

"The musings of mrs malaprop" is a free flowing cultural explosion centred around my three favourite art forms- literature, film and fashion. Though I reckon posts will tend to have leanings towards the world of fashion just because it's well, as Brad would say, inevitable.


Yours truly,
Mrs M x


And IF you stop by, please post a comment or (if your feeling generous) follow me, just so I'm not talking to dead cyberspace!

No comments:

Post a Comment